1921 Stutz Model B Pumper Fire Truck donated to ACM by Nancy LeMay
Harry C. Stutz founded the Stutz Fire Engine Company in 1919 after he was forced to sell his interest in the Stutz Motor Company earlier the same year. Originally built in Indianapolis, Indiana, the first Stutz fire engines were offered with four and six cylinder Wisconsin engines, and configured as ladder, pumper, and combination trucks. The trucks so out-shone their competition that sales boomed. These fine trucks enjoyed enough success that they were ordered by fire departments in locations as far away as Tokyo, Japan.
This Stutz Fire Engine was commissioned in 1921 by the Indianapolis, Indiana, Fire Department, where it remained in use until 1962. Known as Pumper No. 20 at Station 19, it was listed on the records as a “Combination Pumper, Booster and Hose Truck”. In 1938 the No. 20 was moved to Station 20 and in March of 1948, it was transferred to reserve use. That same year, it was outfitted with a six cylinder Hercules motor. In 1955 the truck became known as Reserve No 8, hose tender No 11. In 1962, the truck was released from service by the IFD and Engine No 8 has been in private ownership in Ohio and Michigan, coming to Tacoma in 1991 and later sold to Harold LeMay. A superb example of early American fire engines, this Stutz Model B was beautifully restored to under the direction of Harold LeMay in 1994.
Nancy LeMay donated the truck to ACM in 2003. The truck was on display in a special room at the LeMay House until June 2014 when it was moved to ACM. Visitors participating in Take a Spin this summer had the opportunity to ride in the truck, and it is now on display in the Museum lobby.
Historical Photos via Indianapolis Fire Department Historical Society
About LeMay – America’s Car Museum (www.lemaymuseum.org)
LeMay – America’s Car Museum, which opened in June 2012 in Tacoma, Wash., explores how the automobile has fulfilled a distinctive role at the core of the American experience and shaped our society. The four-level, 165,000 sq. ft. museum with rotating exhibits is designed to be the centerpiece for automotive history as well as an educational center and library. The campus, offering a majestic view above the Foss Waterway, is located adjacent to the Tacoma Dome and contains a 3.5-acre show field, theatre, café, banquet hall and meeting facilities. For information on Museum hours, becoming an ACM member, volunteer opportunities or to make a donation, visit www.lemaymuseum.org.
ACM – Ashley Bice (253) 683-3954 (firstname.lastname@example.org)